General Insurance

Home Insurance Plan

Our Home Insurance Plan is designated for house owners or tenants, offering comprehensive protection to their legal liability and properties in their home. It also offers worldwide personal belongings protection and 24-hour emergency assistance, giving you a peace of mind when you stay at home or go overseas.

Product Highlights

  • Comprehensive Home Coverage
    This plan mainly protects the legal liability of house owners, tenants and their family members residing with them against bodily injury or property damage to a third party due to negligence. The package also provides protection to home contents and personal effects.
  • Worldwide Protection
    The plan offers protection to the insured person for the loss of personal belongings due to theft/robbery while travelling overseas.
  • 24-hour Emergency Assistance Services
    The plan helps the insured person arrange emergency electrical power facility, plumbing and locksmith assistance services, and it also provides free referral services including doctor visit, emergency nursing assistance, home cleaning and pest control.

Apply Online Now

img03Home Insurance


Coverage Limit of Liability (HK$)
1. Householder's Liability to Third Party
  • House owner's and/or tenant's legal liability to third party for bodily injury and/or property damage including compensation and legal expenses
2. Home Contents Protection  
  • Accidental loss/damage to home contents (Limit per Item: HK$100,000)
  • Valuable items such as Jewellery, Gold, Silver, Furs, Watches, Works of Art and Antiques (Limit per Item: HK$20,000)
  • Costs and expenses necessarily incurred in the removal of debris
3. Worldwide Protection  
  • Accidental loss/damage to personal belongings during travelling overseas (Limit per Item: HK$3,000)
  • Loss of money due to theft/robbery during travelling overseas
  • Unauthorised use of credit card due to theft/robbery during travelling overseas
  • Replacement of personal documentation due to theft/robbery at Home or during travelling overseas
  • Personal accident: Death of Insured or family members residing with Insured due to fire/burglary at home
4. Extra Protections  
  • Loss of money and unauthorised use of credit card due to burglary during at home
  • Alternative accommodation if home is uninhabitable due to accident (Limit per day HK$1,500)
  • Loss/damage to home contents whilst moving to new home (Limit per item: HK$20,000)
  • Loss/damage to home contents during renovation (Renovation period: maximum 2 months)
  • Deterioration of frozen food due to breakdown of refrigerator (Limit per accident: HK$1,500)
  • Repair cost of damaged doors and windows by burglar
5. 24-hour Emergency Assistance Benefits  
  • Emergency electrical power facility, plumbing and locksmith assistance
500 (Each Claim)
  • Referral services including doctor visit, emergency nursing assistance, home cleaning and pest control
Referral only

Premium Table

IA Levy collected by the Insurance Authority ("IA") shall be imposed on insurance policy at the applicable rate in accordance with the law. For further information, please visit www.ia.org.hk. The following premiums do not include IA Levy.
Insured Premises Gross Area (Square Feet) Insured Premises Saleable Area (Square Feet) Annual Premium (HK$)
500 or less 400 or less 828
501-700  401 – 560 1,038
701-1,000 561 – 800 1,278
1,001-1,500 801 – 1,200 1,611
1,501-2,000 1,201 – 1,600 1,971
2,001-3,100 1,601 – 2,480 2,989


On-line application shall not be accepted if the Insured Premises is any one of the following types. Please contact our Customer Service Officer for individual quotation.

  1. was built over 30 years; or
  2. is larger than 3,100 square feet (gross area) or 2,480 square feet (usable area); or
  3. is a House or a Village House; or
  4. situates at the top floor; or
  5. includes car parking space or garden or private swimming pool

(852) 2290 3580
Office Hour : 8:45am to 6:00pm (Monday to Friday)

Major Exclusions

  • Legal liability from existing unauthorised structures or the demolishing of such unauthorised structures;
  • Wear and tear;
  • Property left in the open area;
  • Electrical or mechanical breakdown;
  • Unexplained loss;
  • Mobile phones and pagers;
  • War;
  • Ionizing radiation from nuclear fuel;
  • Terrorism;
  • Sonic bang or contamination.


Section Excess
Section 1 – Legal Liability to Third Party
  • The first HK$2,000 each and every loss in respect of third party property damage
  • The first HK$2,000 or 10% each and every loss, whichever is the greater, in respect of water damage to third party property
Section 2 – Home Contents Protection
Section 3 – Worldwide Protection
Section 4 – Extra Protections
The first HK$250 each and every loss (except Personal Accident)


What is the difference between the SCB Home Insurance Plan and the Mortgage Fire policy?

The Mortgage Fire policy covers the "Building Structure" of the premises. Building Structure refers to the "Wall", "Floor", "Ceiling" and "Pipes" of the premises. If the premises have a mortgage arrangement, the bank would request a Mortgage Fire policy to be arranged. The SCB Home Insurance Plan protects loss of or damage to "Home Contents" such as furniture, decorations and household appliances. These items are different from the "Building Structure" under the Mortgage Fire policy.

Who should purchase the SCB Home Insurance Plan?

The house owners and tenants of the premises should purchase the plan. For owners, the plan protects the owner and his/her family members against their legal liability for bodily injury and property damage to third parties. The owner should also arrange a Mortgage Fire policy. For tenants, they can purchase the plan to protect themselves against their legal liability to third parties as well as to protect their household contents and furniture.

Why is the cost of repairing a burst concealed pipe and the wall not payable under the SCB Home Insurance Plan?

The concealed pipe and the wall are parts of the "Building Structure" of the premises and are not covered by the SCB Home Insurance Plan. Therefore, the repair cost of the pipe and wall is not payable under the plan. However, if the burst pipe causes damage to the home contents like furniture and electrical appliances, the claim for such damage is payable. For example, if the concealed pipe bursts and the water stains a rug and the wallpaper, the repair cost of the rug and the wallpaper is payable under the plan.

Tips for Filing a Claim

Please note the following and submit the required supporting documents when filing a claim:

  1. Loss of or damage to home contents
    • Submit a completed Claim Form stating details of the incident and loss
    • Send us the original purchasing invoice of the lost/damaged items, if available
    • Submit the replacement or repair receipt of the damaged items if the items can be repaired
    • Provide photos showing the damaged items, if available
    • Keep the damaged items for the Insurer's inspection if the situation allows
    • Provide the incident report reference and information of the police station if the case has been reported to the police.
  2. Legal liability to third party – bodily injury and/or property damage due to accident
    • Record the name and contact details of the injured person so that the Insurer can contact the injured person later
    • Record the name and contact details of the witness, if any, so that the Insurer can contact the witness later
    • Provide the incident report reference and information of the police station if the case has been reported to the police.
    • Do not admit any liability or offer a settlement, no matter who is liable
    • Complete and return the Claim Form as soon as possible with details of the incident and of the property damage and bodily injury, if any

Claims Service Hotline
(852) 2290 3560



  1. The general insurance product is underwritten by Paofoong Insurance Company (Hong Kong) Limited ("Paofoong Insurance"). Paofoong Insurance is authorized and regulated by the Insurance Authority to carry on general insurance business in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
  2. Shanghai Commercial Bank Limited ("The Bank") is the Appointed Insurance Agency (Insurance Agency License Number FA3130) of Paofoong Insurance, and the general insurance product is a product of Paofoong Insurance but not the Bank. Profoong Insurance reserves the right to decide at its sole discretion to accept or decline any application of the general insurance plan.
  3. Paofoong Insurance is a subsidiary of the Bank.
  4. The Bank and Paofoong Insurance reserve the right to amend or terminate the terms and conditions for the relevant premium discount without prior notice to customers. In case of any disputes, the decision of the Bank and Paofoong Insurance shall be final.
  5. The above information is for reference only and is intended to be distributed in Hong Kong only, it shall not be construed as an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer or recommendation to purchase or sale or provision of any products of Paofoong Insurance outside Hong Kong and will not constitute any part of the insurance policy document. Please refer to the policy document and provision issued by Paofoong Insurance for detailed terms and conditions, scope of coverage, exclusions and premium of this insurance plan.
  6. In respect of an eligible dispute (as defined in the Terms of Reference for the Financial Dispute Resolution Centre in relation to the Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme) between the Bank and the customer arising out of the selling process or processing of the related transaction, the Bank will enter into a Financial Dispute Resolution Scheme process with the customer; however any dispute over the contractual terms of the product shall be resolved directly between the customer and Paofoong Insurance.
  7. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions of the above information, the English version shall prevail.

Download Document

Leaflet and Proposal Form
Policy Document
Claim Form
Previous pageBack to top